Thursday 15 October 2009

Theme: Spikes and Studs

Oh dear... My obsession with spikes and studs is reaching a whole new level. Only last week was I sat watching Gossip Girl, pressing gold-tone studs into an old tshirt in the hope of making it look somehow cool. Such frivolous attempts aside, while not watching Gossip Girl I seem to find myself searching online for spiky, studded jewellery. The good news is the jewellery is coming in all shapes and styles, from quirky, raw-edged earrings and bangles, to the brightly coloured regal-inspired acrylic bangles by one of my favourite up-and-coming designers, Nicholas King - a definite one to watch for 2010...

The spiked wheel Muriel earrings by Joanna Cave, below, are a personal favourite of mine. Joanna was kind enough to recently make me a pair of these on a smaller hoop earring (a treat to self, plus I'm a big fan of hers). I'm love the way the little pearls add just that touch of softness.



Silver, oxidised and pearl hoop spiked wheel earrings, by Joanna Cave at EC One




  
Gold plated silver 'Samurai' necklace, based on the Samurai sword, by EC One


On the more uniform stud scale are the pyramid bangles by Daisy Knights, a fabulous jewellery designer who I wrote about on here not long ago. I'm still enjoying her designs, and with my birthday next week am definitely looking forward to adding something of hers to my jewellery box..! Daisy manages to keep things feminine yet tough; a little bit raw but with a lot of love involved in the making.
 

Silver and gold plated silver studded 'Molly' bangles, by Daisy Knights


 


Sterling silver pyramid stud earring, by Alex & Chloe at Kabiri

Though I've mostly known William Cheshire's men's collection, amidst his repertoire are  pieces that us ladies can get our hands on. His new Lightening and Electricity collections play with the lightening bolt shape, refining the look to tough-luxe. His highly polished finishes and use of diamonds and chunky uncut stones demonstrate William's skill as a leading British jewellery designer , who's worked with Stephen Einhorn and Paul Smith.

 

Gold plated 'Lightening' stud earrings, by William Cheshire


A somewhat more playful take on studs and spikes can be seen in the work of Wendy Pickard (The Branch) and Nicholas King. Their ever-growing stockist lists means that their jewellery is accessible, on-trend and ever more in the public eye. Nicholas King is especially worth keeping an eye on; with time spent at DKNY and Alexis Bittar, he certainly knows the market and certainly knows what works. Check out his amazing sequin bangles here.

 

Rosewood ring, studded with gold plated silver round studs, by The Branch


 


Multi-coloured acrylic 'Crown' spikey bangles, by Nicholas King

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kathryn, great to see William Cheshire is getting a mention. I love his luxury but edgy style. I have started stocking his Lightning
    Bolt and Lagos collections in my store Little 15 Jewellery. Most pieces sold out instantly but I will receive more before Xmas.
    Keep up the good work.
    jutta
    x

    ReplyDelete